What Is a Rolling Stop?

If you’re approaching an intersection with a red, octagonal “STOP” sign, the message seems relatively clear. The reason why you’ve encountered this stop sign is because it’s intended to prevent collisions between vehicles with each other, as well as pedestrians, cyclists, or whoever is also at the intersection.

If it sounds like we’re stating the obvious here, it’s because we are. Everyone understands what to do at a stop sign and why they should do it. Despite this, however, an interesting phenomenon still seems to grasp many drivers: the rolling stop.

What is Considered a Complete Stop?

Known on the other side of the country as a “California Stop,” a rolling stop occurs when a driver fails to bring his or her vehicle to a complete stop at a stop sign. A complete stop means the vehicle has no forward momentum and the speedometer reads zero miles per hour of motion (again, if it sounds like we are stating the obvious, it’s because we are).

What Are the Penalties for a Stop Sign Violation in New York?

Unlike a traffic signal, whose primary purpose is to direct the flow of traffic, a stop sign’s whole purpose is to interrupt the flow of traffic to prevent collisions and injuries. Therefore, failing to obey a stop sign is considered a moving violation and can be ticketed by a police officer.

Whether you’re committed a rolling stop or simply ran through a stop sign, the penalties could include the following:

  • Up to $150 for first-time offenders
  • Up to $300 for second-time offenders within 18 months
  • Up to $450 for third-time offenders within 18 months
  • 3 points added to your driving record for each offense
  • License suspension if you accrue 11 or more points within 18 months

Cited for a Rolling Stop? We Can Help.

At Stites Law, we can provide you with an aggressive defense if you were ticketed for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Our skilled attorneys have assisted 125,000 drivers with fighting their traffic tickets, helping 90 percent of them earn “not guilty” verdicts.

Learn more about what we can do for you by scheduling a free initial consultation. Get in touch with us today by calling (212) 729-0472">(212) 729-0472 or by contacting us online!